I finished my project for the whipup competition – the whole thing only took a few hours and I love the result. Since I haven’t decided in which category it will be entered, i am not ready to make a whole post about it, but just tease you with a little snippet
I thought I might answer some of the questions posed for socktoberfest, but was afraid they might be a bit boring so be warned!
- When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
- What was your first pair? How have they “held up” over time?
- What would you have done differently?
- What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
- Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
- Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
- How many pairs have you made?
I made my first pair probably about 3 years ago. it was with yarn that I bought at stitches west. How cute and naive it was of me to not even understand how self-stiping yarn worked!
They are knit too loosely. I would use smaller needles. My awareness of gauge is much greater nowadays
The ‘Socks that Rock” that I am using on the current WIP socks is by far my favorite. Louet gems is nice too, but that is some tiny stuff. Oh! And blauband Maxiringel is fabulous.Â I love the matching reinforcing thread.
Knit them on two circs
My current favorite is short row, and afterthought is a close second. I LOVE toe-up socks. I cannot imagine doing them any other way.
i currently have one sock abandoned due to second sock syndrome, but i have 4 pairs.
Probably the best representation of my sock history reveals itself if you choose Socks from my tag cloud in the sidebar… Now back to work on those Socks that Rock….